Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Food Challenge

After reading a friend’s blog today I was inspired to challenge myself. Starting April 1st I‘m going to be cooking every meal in our house, meaning breakfast, lunch and dinner for 1 month, 7 days a week. So please don't invite us out to dinner :)

I’m really looking forward to this challenge. I have our whole meal list planned out for next week, which means a pretty big shopping list, but most of the stuff will last for a month or longer. Thank goodness for Sam’s Club. I tend to cook pretty healthy but I am taking it a step further. I'm eliminating white flour and will now be using whole wheat flour, we will be using all ground turkey in place of ground beef and we will only be eating red meat one time this month. I think that is going to be the hardest part, because we love steak. I have replaced most of the stuff in the kitchen with organic, cage free and grass fed, so I feel like I’m taking a step in the right direction.

I would love to hear from my other mom friends on this subject. Do any of you cook all of your meals at home? Do you tend to use natural, organic, fresh ingredients? Do you typically stick to making the same things or do you try new things? How do your kids react to different food and how do you get them to try it? Please feel free to share recipes, I love trying new things. With that being said, I will share one of the recipes I love. It is not super healthy, but I will be tweaking it and adding new things like whole wheat flour to make it a little healthier. I’ll share the revised recipe once I have perfected it myself.

Banana Bars

  • 3 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Dash salt

  • FROSTING:
  • 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 3 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions

  • In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the bananas, applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into butter mixture just until blended.
  • Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
  • For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost bars. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 3 dozen

3 comments:

  1. We eat 99% of our meals at home, we actually just hung all of our pots and pans over the stove which has been a lifesaver! We make lots of stir fry dishes and roasted veggies and eat a lot of couscous, lentils and quinoa for protein. Do you want me to send you some recipes? I bought local milk last week but it expires 3 days after you open it so we'll probably be sticking with the organic from the store and we need to get better about visiting the farmer's market, there are so many here!
    Your banana bar recipe sounds delish! Be careful with the wheat flour, it bakes up different so you can't just do an even swap. Maybe try 1/2 and 1/2?
    XOXO
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love some recipes, thanks for the info on the wheat flour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We cook all our meals at home. I really love cooking and baking!! I make my meal list on the weekend for the next week and buy everything I need which helps save money and saves me time through the week! I buy organic chicken when there is a good deal, and we cook a lot with ground turkey. I also buy organic produce. I had my son on organic milk from the time he was one until he was two, but he goes through a lot of milk and my husband insisted on switching due to the cost. I have a lot of meals that are regulars in our house, but my husband and I love trying new things. My new favorite website for recipes is The Pioneer Women she has great meals that she makes from scratch! As far as my kids trying new things my son only eats specific foods due to his autism so getting him to try new thing is very difficult. He is also highly allergic to eggs so I have to cook a lot without eggs using applesauce and flaxseed in place of eggs. Hope the month goes well for you, I'm sure you will love it!

    ReplyDelete